Sam Dodge YouTube demo of 1922 Mitchell Standard #5

~
Feel free to discuss any topic related to the Mitchell Camera. Both 35 mm and 16 mm models are welcomed here. Also consider posting topics of other major motion picture cameras that you feel are important to the development of the Mitchell Camera. Feel free to upload a photo from the option on each new post.
~
mitchellbnc

Sam Dodge YouTube demo of 1922 Mitchell Standard #5

Post by mitchellbnc » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:16 pm

Sam Dodge states that this is more than a camera, it is an artifact. Indeed this Mitchell Standard is near priceless as they don't get much more rare than this. Hard to believe that Sam really found Mitchell Standard number 5 but there it is right on the Mitchell acorn. Sam closes with the line, "and it will shoot today" and it looks looks so good that there is no doubt in my mind that it would do just that. Really nice production values and a great video walk around. Thank you Mr. Dodge!

mitchellbnc

Re: Sam Dodge YouTube demo of 1922 Mitchell Standard #5

Post by mitchellbnc » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:55 am

This camera is so rare and pristine. The only modification that may have been made is when they upgraded the camera from hand crank only to motor drive and who can blame theme for doing that? After all, this camera had a very long production life and I'm sure it shoot miles of film using its new motor. Below is a comparison shot of Mitchell Standard No. 5 with Standard No.167 (YouTube video from another thread here). You can see how they modified No, 5 with the non standard drive hole cut into the body at the lower left. Can any Standard owners confirm that this is indeed the modification? Still looks amazing tho.
Attachments
mitchell-camera-motor-holes.jpg

korenevboris

Post by korenevboris » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:07 pm

Давайте начнем! This meaning I make in other message of forum. In mother Russia it meaning of hello pussycats. In school of my book we make learning of camera of the MItchell. We think camera very good but made by Americanskis is problem for class of workers. I find 1921 Mitchell picture of this ad.

kiss, kiss pussycats,
Boris
Attachments
standard of the mitchell  1921.jpg

marop

Post by marop » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:46 pm

Here is a photo of a Mitchell Standard made in 1931. The motor is attached to the connector in the upper left corner, as the other photos show. ***Note that the Micthell acorn ID tag on Sam Dodge's camera is wrong. It may have just been replaced? His ID tag shows the wrong city for the company in the early 1920's. Mitchell's first location was Los Angeles, then West Hollywood, then Glendale.

Mark
Attachments
image.jpg
1931 Mitchell motor door.

Carroll F. Gray

Post by Carroll F. Gray » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:49 pm

Here are few shots of my Standard #333 (with a "Los Angeles" badge, predating West Hollywood)... the crank side door has been modified to take a motor drive (not a usual Mitchell motor, but some other device), and the flywheel has been removed, indicating that # 333 was most recently used for animation, since the flywheel would cause a stutter, even at a rate of one frame. The automatic variable shutter is intact, and the L-base still has the built-in iris (positionable in frame), the built in matte curtains and the matte/effects wheel, and it has an uncommon early ("Los Angeles" badge) Mitchell sidefinder.

Note the position of the Mitchell "Los Angeles" badge on the door.

This camera was purchased in 1931 by British Lion Films (London) and was one of two Mitchell Standards at that studio, the other being Mitchell Standard # 330
Attachments
M-1b.jpg
M-1b.jpg (74.1 KiB) Viewed 32147 times
M-2b.jpg
M-2b.jpg (72.43 KiB) Viewed 32147 times
M-3b.jpg
M-3b.jpg (83.15 KiB) Viewed 32147 times
M-4b.jpg
M-4b.jpg (93.69 KiB) Viewed 32147 times
M-6b.jpg
M-6b.jpg (87.95 KiB) Viewed 32147 times
M-5b.jpg

Carroll F. Gray

Re: Mitchell - Los Angeles, West Hollywood and Glendale

Post by Carroll F. Gray » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:56 am

When Mitchell changed their badges from Los Angeles to West Hollywood, it wasn't because they moved. Their factory (at 661 N. Robertson Dr. - the building is still there) was in the City of Los Angeles. At some point around 1929, that area became known as West Hollywood and was known for its gambling and alcohol during Prohibition. The move to Glendale happened in 1946.

Mitchell badges were marked Los Angeles from their beginning of the company in 1921 until about the early 1930's, when they started to use West Hollywood.

Here's a picture of the original Mitchell factory on North Robertson.
Attachments
MITCHELL CAMERA CORPORATION WEST HOLLYWOOD bw 4.png

CinemaInvestCo

Post by CinemaInvestCo » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:14 pm

All: I mostly see the Glendale acorn and the older badges are indeed, Los Angeles. Here is a West Hollywood example.
Attachments
west hollywood.jpg

marop

Post by marop » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:20 am

Regarding Mitchell camera no. 333; what is the serial number on the viewfinder? Also can I bother you for some photos of the inside, showing the disolve mechanism? My camera is missing some parts and I need some good clear pictures of them so I can find them. Thanks!

mediaed

Post by mediaed » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:00 am

Mark,

Hope you're still visiting. Two questions.

First, what is the number on your 1931 camera? From the list I have been collating over the past 5 years, it would have to be between 336 and 400 to fit the curve. Would help to know.

Also, it appears that the Standard continues to be made after that date but production drops severely as the NC takes over the market. All Standards from this point-on appear to be bought by the government.

Second, in my research it appears the city badge change is in either 1933 or 1934. 1933 coincides with the first NC. Anyone with a better date, let us know here, please.

And, anyone with Michell cameras no matter the make with serial numbers and a date, please contact.

Thanks. ED.

Elexander

Post by Elexander » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:55 am

Regarding Mitchell camera no. 333; what is the serial number on the viewfinder?