Front Camera "Tour" of Mitchell 356

~
Feel free to discuss any topic related to the Mitchell Camera. Both 35 mm and 16 mm models are welcomed here. Also consider posting topics of other major motion picture cameras that you feel are important to the development of the Mitchell Camera. Feel free to upload a photo from the option on each new post.
~
brucermorgan

Front Camera "Tour" of Mitchell 356

Post by brucermorgan » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:09 pm

Greetings Folks
The pictures included here are part of a extended effort to round out at least 30 to -40 shots of the BNC 356 .

There will be a set of shots of BNC 356 in action much later .

These shots display the famous wide diameter lens port which -I believe attracted Stanley Kubrick to order-from a Studio- two of the BNC rack over cameras.
Somehow studio executive John Calley was involved and I recall that Mr Calley asked the secretive Mr Kubrick
"why are you buying these cameras ?"

Seen in the photos are
-lens port
-4 way adjustable matt leaves
-rollers on a removable pressure plate at the back of the closed film gate
Much more detail will be added later
Meanwhile
here is a link to a story describing the Kubrick-Cinema Products saga on utilizing the Mitchell BNC
for use with special lenses
-http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/sk/ac/len/page1.htm
Best Wishes
Bruce
Attachments
bnc 365  CA CAM01292.jpg
Front face detail of Mitchell BNC 356 rack over camera showing at deepest point a pressure plate with rollers .
bnc 356 CA CAM01289.jpg
Front face detail of Mitchell BNC 356 rack over camera

mitchellbnc

Re: Front Camera "Tour" of Mitchell 356

Post by mitchellbnc » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:15 pm

Fantastic shot of the 4 way mats from an angle that I have never seen before. Thank you Bruce!

Theodore Wilhelm
MitchellCamera.com administrator

followthefocus1

Post by followthefocus1 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:19 pm

Awesome, can't wait to see the entire "tour." I can see the artist at work in the way you photographer her. You brought out her good side even with her lens off. Oh my!

Respectfully,
followthefocus1

mrcinephd

Post by mrcinephd » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:29 pm

Mr. Morgan: Thank you sir. Beautiful shots and I await your future tour submissions. BNC #356 shall be remembered thanks to your photo documentation efforts. As you know sir, some say film is dying OR has already died. We need to preserve this history and for you efforts I say: job well done. When a man is measured for his life's work, what greater honor can be said than he made a difference. And you are doing just that.

As always, keep on filmin'

brucermorgan

Post by brucermorgan » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:36 pm

Hello
Thanks for the nice feedback folks !
I will dig deep as there are so many
shots of BNC 356 to find .

A special note .

We had a video training day in Feb 2009 for the entire crew
I will lift frame grabs from the video .

I do not know how much video or if any is supported on this site .
So I will stay with stills until told otherwise
Cheers
Bruce

brucermorgan

Post by brucermorgan » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:16 am

A Continuation of the Front Camera "Tour" of Mitchell 356-

My first still photo shot with the MITCHELL BNC 356 Camera and myself was in 1992 out in the desert near Edwards Air Force Base .

I was employing the camera in a stop frame long exposure role to photograph the rise and fall of star clusters
in the night sky.

Before night fall we set up the camera on a McCallister Dolly and took shots of the Mitchell BNC 356 with Black and White
35mm film .

Here is one heroic Front Camera shot which has been photoshopped .I will post some more classic scans later .
Regards Bruce
Attachments
SM BNCFINAL B  copy.jpg
BNC 356 DURING 1992 DESERT SHOT NEAR EDWARDS AIR BASE

winston_cornwall

Post by winston_cornwall » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:26 am

How do you do? Good show on your photo tour Mr. Morgan. However, the lenses does not appear to be a Baltar. Am I correct, do you care to comment on my observation?

Winston

mitchellbnc

Post by mitchellbnc » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:28 pm

Hello members. Before Bruce Morgan sold BNC 356, he had the following photos posted on eBay. I think they are historically significant because there are not that many unmodified BNC's left. Bruce put together some very nice collage views of his rig. A neat photo that he included is a rare peek into the cameraman's utility box for a look at the assorted goodies.

As always, feel free to enlarge any photo by clicking on it.

Theodore Wilhelm
MitchellCamera.com administrator
Attachments
bnc_356_1.JPG
bnc_356_2.JPG
bnc_356_3.JPG
bnc_356_4.JPG