Best Mitchell Geared Head - Worrall of course!

~
Feel free to discuss any topic related to the Mitchell Camera. Both 35 mm and 16 mm models are welcomed here. Also consider posting topics of other major motion picture cameras that you feel are important to the development of the Mitchell Camera. Feel free to upload a photo from the option on each new post.
~
marop

Re: Best Mitchell Geared Head - Worrall of course!

Post by marop » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:38 pm

Hello,

So you have a camera mounted on it and you tilt the platform and then it won't stay in that position, if I understand you correctly? There is a lock on these but the camera should be balanced on the head. There is some movement in the thread that holds the camera down. Check and see if there is room to move it opposite the side that drops. You should be able to balance it but I am not sure that it is intended to stay at an angle without holding the wheel or locking it.

Mark

Charlescowper

Post by Charlescowper » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:14 pm

thanks i'll check it out :)

mediaed

Post by mediaed » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:06 pm

Great pix from all!

For some video shots of both the Moy and Worrall heads in action (albeit in rotation), see the video inserts for the 1930's Fearless blimp and the BNCR in "Member's Articles" under the title "Blimped cameras that made the movies."

ED

mitchellbnc

Post by mitchellbnc » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:07 am

Hello members! Check out this great video tour of the lightweight Mitchell gear head with an excellent description of all it's features including the innovative tilt base feature. For the original product brochure from Mitchell, take a look upthread (previous page) which one of our members has uploaded.

kitzel667

Post by kitzel667 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:25 am

I agree the Worrall was a great head - until the Panahead and Super Panahead. I remember the Worrall had some lash in the gears so if a backpan was required you had to gingerly engage the gear in the reverse direction so that when you started to backpan there was no bump. Meanwhile I haven't used a geared head (the last one was an Arri II) on a show in a couple of years. The producers don't want to rent them because of cost. Oh well. The O'Connor 7525 is a very good fluid head.

Stein8perf

Post by Stein8perf » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:57 pm

Just an FYI about Worrall... They are actually still around and last I spoke to the grandson would still manufacture replacement parts for them. I had them make me six intermittent sprockets for VistaVision projector zi constructed back in the late 80's and they did an excellent job on them. They do not have a website, but their address and phone number is below...

Worrall Grinding
1639 South St
Anderson, California, CA 96007-4243

(530) 365-4565

Mark

Matt way

Post by Matt way » Thu May 09, 2019 11:06 pm

Hi Folks,
I found a worrall motion controlled head and am re installing the handwheels traditionally.
Now upon removing the tilt gearbox flat coverplate it revealed a missing identical gear cluster..
I need to stop the entire world from panning and tilting to locate a 2 speed gear cluster please..
Matt 424 220 0224..

Matt Way

Post by Matt Way » Thu May 09, 2019 11:13 pm

I tried calling the number and it had been disconnected.
Might anyone know who may have a 2 speed gear cluster ?? Or a current contact for Grandson of Worrall ?? Or any updated on possible part or makers ?
Thank you,
Matt Way
424 220 0224

mediaed

Post by mediaed » Fri May 10, 2019 10:31 am

Congrats on joining the Worrell world.
Luckily you live in the LA area. If you can pull the other gear set, there should be a number of area machinest shops capable of making matching replacements from scratch. You might need to shop around. You could even find someone who can take it apart and pit it back together. Ken Stone is another resource.
Was this the one Steve Kramms was selling? Best. ED.

lilybettina1

Post by lilybettina1 » Fri May 17, 2019 4:39 am

This is my 'lesser' Moy geared head. I thought that Raby made the 'Sputnik' pump up tripod unit?
Attachments
DSC_0017.JPG
DSC_0014.JPG