I need your help

~
Feel free to discuss any topic related to the Mitchell Camera. Both 35 mm and 16 mm models are welcomed here. Also consider posting topics of other major motion picture cameras that you feel are important to the development of the Mitchell Camera. Feel free to upload a photo from the option on each new post.
~
steffenlea

I need your help

Post by steffenlea » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:39 pm

Hello,
I need your help. For an article, I need the exact name and model of the two cameras. Is the 2nd camera a high speed model? The photos are from 1964 from the shooting of James Bond Goldfinger.
Thank you for the help and the answer.

Many greetings from Germany

Best
Steffen Appel
Attachments
Camera 2 e.jpg
Camera 2
Camera 2 d.jpg
Camera 2
Camera 2 b.jpg
Camera 2
Camera 2 a.jpg
Camera 2
Camera 1 c.jpg
Camera 1
Camera 1 b.jpg
Camera 1
Camera 1 a.jpg
Camera 1

marop

Re: I need your help

Post by marop » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:21 am

Hello Steffen

The 2nd camera, the larger one, is a Mitchell BNC. The BNC was the typical Hollywood film camera used for sound filming and uses 35mm film and would not be for high speed filming. The First camera is also a Mitchell Camera, 35mm, and possibly a “Standard” “NC” or “GC” model. It’s hard to distinguish a Standard from an NC or a GC model from your photo. The Standard or GC typically uses a “peanut” motor (for non-sync sound filming as seen in the picture) however using a special mount a peanut motor can be used with an NC. I believe the peanut motor (depending on which model) can reach up to 120 frames per second, which would be high speed. The camera would need a high speed movement to handle that high speed. The GC model typically has a high speed movement. Mitchell made motors that went higher in speed however they look different than the one in the photo. Sorry I can’t be more specific for you. Maybe another member might see something in the photos that I don’t.

Mark

steffenlea

Post by steffenlea » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:47 am

Hello Mark,
thank you for your help and quick reply.
Does the number 290 on the BNC camera mean the model (see new photo) ?
I added 8 more pictures from the smaller camera. Maybe this helps.
Thank you very much

Steffen
BNC.PNG
BNC 290
Smaller Camera 8.PNG
Smaller Camera 8
Smaller Camera 7.PNG
Smaller Camera 7
Smaller Camera 6.PNG
Smaller Camera 6
Smaller Camera 5.PNG
Smaller Camera 5
Smaller Camera 4.PNG
Smaller Camera 4
Smaller Camera 3.PNG
Smaller Camera 3
Smaller Camera 2.PNG
Smaller Camera 2
Smaller Camera 1.PNG
Smaller Camera 1

marop

Post by marop » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:00 am

Steffen,

No, the number 290 is the serial number. The model number is BNC (which I'm told stands for Blimped Newsreel Camera).

I have records from Mitchell sales. BNC 290 was sold to Vinten Mitchell in 1961. I'm fairly certain Vinten Vinten Mitchell was a rental company in Europe.

Will you be able to post a copy of your article or a link on this website?

Mark

marop

Post by marop » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:16 am

Also the additional photos didn't help me narrow down the model number.

steffenlea

Post by steffenlea » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:03 am

Thank you very much Mark.
I will add the article or link in April.
Maybe another user can tell something about the second camera.

marop

Post by marop » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:19 am

Your welcome Steffen, I was hoping Ed would chime in....

mediaed

Post by mediaed » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:25 am

Gee, don't check in for a whole day and excitement ensues...

Steffen.
Thanks for joining in. The Broccoli organization does not have call sheets? Does small #3 have enough detail on the original to see the badge better?
If not, based on the fact the setup includes the sidefinder flip up, the follow focus and the adjustable top,bottom and side mattes knobs. I would argue this is an NC because that was a standard configuration. The camera has the unused turret ports covered which suggests a modified single lens position on the turret for a more modern lens mount since the matte assembly is very close to the front. The lens appears to be a wide angle 25mm and not a Baltar.

This would not be a high speed camera as the NC design is for less noise.

This also would be an older camera if the lens modification is true.
In reviewing sales figures, I cannot find a reference to any NC bought by Vinten from the early 40's to the 1960's. But, after the war, many cameras were surplussed in England where I presume the film was mostly shot. Otherwise, MGM owned a boatload of NC cameras in that time period.

Hope that helps. ED.

mediaed

Post by mediaed » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:31 pm

Steffens,

I am going to change that last answer about the silent camera.
Upon further review and looking at both of my cameras at about the same angle and comparing the L bases between the GC and NC, I have to place the camera as a GC and possibly high speed up to 120 FPS. The plaque on the camera door advises about oiling after high speed usage which is a feature overlooked.
The key comparison is the space above the turret on an NC that is not there on the GC. The 4way in-Camera matte is not a usual feature on a GC and was ordered specifically when purchased.
309260B2-382A-4B0D-967C-2E6ADDE890E9.jpeg
L base compare NC/GC
The NC base is to the right.

mediaed

Post by mediaed » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:43 pm

Ummm. Ever had one of those days?

NC is to the LEFT.

Going now ti beat my head against the wall.

ED.