Building 2 replica Mitchell NC with digital insides

~
Feel free to discuss any topic related to the Mitchell Camera. Both 35 mm and 16 mm models are welcomed here. Also consider posting topics of other major motion picture cameras that you feel are important to the development of the Mitchell Camera. Feel free to upload a photo from the option on each new post.
~
kieren

Building 2 replica Mitchell NC with digital insides

Post by kieren » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:46 am

Hello,

I run a tiny news team called The Vintage News. As all our newsreels go out online there is sadly no point for us to use these wonderful cameras.

I am currently building 2 replica mitchell nc with digital insides, don't hate me too much.

think of us as pathe re-enactors is the easy description, or check us on youtube.

also building a moy and bastie 1909 unit with hand crank for our wwi coverage.

will post pictures when they are up and running

Kieren

mitchellbnc

Re: Building 2 replica Mitchell NC with digital insides

Post by mitchellbnc » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:13 pm

Hey there folks at Vintage News. We found your web site in England and we are excited about your Mitchell NC project with digital insides. After all, it is 2014. A digital Michell NC, why not? Please send some photos to admin@mitchellcamera.com or make another post and use the upload attachment button at the bottom of the window.

Theodore Wilhelm
MitchellCamera.com Administrator
Attachments
vintage-news-web-page.jpg

mitchellbnc

Post by mitchellbnc » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:58 pm

Members, I have emailed Kieren at The Vintage News (UK) for an update on his Mitchell NC with digital insides! No word back yet but I can see their web site is quite active.

http://www.vintagenews.tv/default.asp?page=1

I'm excited about this project because although I prefer film, if I had a need to shoot digital then why not with a historic and beautiful box like a Mitchel NC? This of course, is assuming that somebody else is going to carry the thing. I doubt that Kieren is worried about such minor points as their passion is as 30s and 40s re-enactors. So I was poking around their web site to see if I could spot their Mitchell NC. I saw this one and I also see the Mitchell Acorn on the magazine but unfortunately it looks like they just strapped the 'ol digital camera right on top.

So you still need to put it inside Kieren! Send photos of what it looks like when mounted from inside the case (please)

Theodore Wilhelm
MitchellCamera.com administrator
Attachments
digital nc.jpg
digital nc.jpg (16.17 KiB) Viewed 13112 times

mitchellbnc

Post by mitchellbnc » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:19 pm

I've seen 'em with this thing too. NOT A MITCHELL.
Attachments
not a mitchell.jpg

kieren

Post by kieren » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:12 pm

Hello All, wow, I am happy and surprised in your interest.

My replicas are not as good as the guy in india, they look great.

as usual they were finished in a rush for some coverage and the british library

I will go and put a page together and come back with the link....

kieren

Post by kieren » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:05 pm

can never find the photos when I need them, darn.

The picture of me the camera 1 above was a plywood box with some electric hob covers stuck on top. it was our first go and while rubbish it was shooting HD for a budget of £70

The shot above that is one of my new Mitchell ones. the camera is not on top, that's a microphone the camera is a olypmus e-pl1 with the external microphone bolt on. Sadly they went into service before I made dummy motors.
For you guys who know what your looking at, I expect to fool none of you, but a large amount of the public seem to presume they are real so they have, for the moment, become our default units.

The moy and bastie 1909 unit has come out very well, more info later. my favourite is our 50s bolex but it has some sony 0-zoom kit in which we are trying to move away from. next up will be a 'chaplin' 2709 is it? that wil be built using a Fuji sx1 as it has great output 26 optical zoom and a mic socket ready to go (and its relatively cheap)

as I said I will put a page together about them and pop back with a link