Mitchell Standard #125 Oct 4 1928

~
Feel free to discuss any topic related to the Mitchell Camera. Both 35 mm and 16 mm models are welcomed here. Also consider posting topics of other major motion picture cameras that you feel are important to the development of the Mitchell Camera. Feel free to upload a photo from the option on each new post.
~
guy bagnall

Mitchell Standard #125 Oct 4 1928

Post by guy bagnall » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:53 am

Hi - I had a camera in a cupboard and needed to think of selling it. It was given to me by an animator friend and colleague and I had not looked closely at it for years. For some reason I thought it was a British camera but imagine my surprise when I realised it was a Mitchell - like finding a Rolls Silver Ghost in the garage. The badge gives the number 125, and I understand it was sold on October 4th 1928. The buyer turned out to be a rather eminent Cinematographer, Norbert Brodine, and it looks as though the camera was used on films directed by William Wyler, Raoul Walsh, Gregory La Cava, Frank Borzage, Lloyd Bacon, Roy Del Ruth and W S Van Dyke plus a Keaton film, The Paranoid Plumber. If anyone has an idea of how it ended up in London I would love to know. There is a plaque under the viewfinder that records Mitchell patents from 1921 to 1926, which suggests it probably has the improvements brought out in 1925. A few pics attached - taken on an i-phone!
Attachments
IMG-1029.JPG
IMG-1028.JPG
IMG-1027.JPG
IMG-1026.JPG

mediaed

Re: Mitchell Standard #125 Oct 4 1928

Post by mediaed » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:04 am

Guy,

Yes, interesting camera. Where are you located? Probably a number of people would be interested in this. If it has been sitting for a long time, may need some work. The government bought most Mitchell Standards after 1930 when Mitchell introduced the NC's.

Would be happy to talk more ss this would be a great camera to feature in a front page story and I would urge you to register it with us. One feature of the registry is that registration is a free transfer for the first change of ownership.

Ejohnson@mitchellCamera.com

guy bagnall

Re: Mitchell Standard #125 Oct 4 1928

Post by guy bagnall » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:47 pm

Hi Ed - I would be happy to write a piece on the camera and its owner and to register it. (Your email address just bounces back). I didn't know anything I'm afraid, about Norbert Brodine, but it turns out he shot 134 features, 86 after he bought this camera, and is ranked 46th Greatest Cinematographer Ever in an IMDB listing. I understand there were very few Mitchell Standards sold to individuals, most going to the government or the army, and a lot of the rest to the Studios. This one is really rather unusual in going to a Cinematographer and as they were hand-made and each one different from the last, I would guess #125 was made to Brodine's precise specifications. Quite a find!